Has many years of practical marine engineering, operations, and managerial experience; and excellent technical skills with emphasis on diesel propulsion systems and high speed ferry construction management of large projects. His broad base of knowledge encompasses most facets of vessel operations, including ROROs, tankers, container ships, ferry boats, deck barges, oil barges and crew boats, and tugs, and their maintenance systems, including computerized systems for shipboard maintenance and inventory, electronics, and deck functions. His expertise in the marine industry has led him to be involved in solving engineering problems, developing safety techniques and training seminars, administering surveys, auditing division activities, and surveying potential purchases, charters, and joint ventures. He currently provides technical support, training, vessel construction management services, and diesel instruction for the shipping industry, the U.S. Coast Guard, and the Navy, including management of the fastest surface ship in the Navy and the newest and greenest ferryboats in the world.
Has experience testifying in courts of law.
- California Maritime Academy, City, Bachelor of Science – Marine Engineering, Magna Cum Laude, 1967
- Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Agricultural Engineering, one year
RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Marine Engineer, July 2014 to present
Crowley Maritime Corporation, various locations, 1967-1988
- Director of Engineering-Machinery, Corporate, 1983-1988
- Manager Marine Operations, Northern California, 1983
- Pacific Northwest Division Manager of Engineering, 1983-1983
- Marine Operations Manager, Pacific Northwest, 1980-1981
- Manager of Engineering, Hull, Machinery & Outfitting, Pacific Northwest, 1975-1980
- Engineering Superintendent, Europe, 1974-1975
- Assistant Port Engineer, Port Engineer and Preventative Maintenance Superintendent, California, Pacific Northwest & Alaska-Hawaii, 1969-1974
- Chief Engineer, various ocean and harbor tugs, 1967-1969
- Coordinator, Pacific Drydock and Repair Company, Crowley subsidiary, 1968
Professional Associations and Activities
- Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Society of Port Engineers
- Board of Governors California Maritime Foundation
- American Bureau of Shipping Engineering Rules Committee
- Director, San Francisco Bay Transit Foundation
- Member, Technical Advisory Board, Water Transit Authority
- Member, Technical Institute, California Maritime Academy
- Diesel Engine Instructor for Industry and Military
- Lieutenant, U. S. Navy, Inactive Reserve
Registrations and Licenses
- U.S. Coast Guard, Chief Engineer, 5000 hp Inspected Motor Vessels, Third Assistant Engineer steam and motor, unlimited
Workboat Diesel and Power Generation Seminar produced by C. Walther and presented over 50 times to industry and military in Seattle, Honolulu, and San Francisco.
has many years of practical marine engineering, operations, and managerial experience; and excellent technical skills with emphasis on diesel propulsion systems and high speed ferry construction management of large projects.