Aviation Operations and Safety Management
He has over thirty-three years of experience in airline operations and safety management. His professional expertise consists of extensive flight operations and successful implementation of ASAP, SMS, IOSA and QMS programs. He has held the positions of Regional Director of Flying, Chief Pilot and Senior Check Airman. As an aviator, he was most recently captain qualified on the DC-9 / MD-80, Airbus A-320, A-330, and B767/757. During 18 of those years, He held various positions involving Check Airman responsibilities. His operational experience is in the International, Caribbean and European theatres and has over 13,000 ATP hours.
• Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona, FL; Major: Professional Aeronautics; Minor: Safety. Relevant Coursework: Safety Management Systems, Principles of Management, Accident Investigation, Aviation Human Factors – degree expected 2014
• University of Southern California, Viterbi School of Engineering, Certificate of Aviation Safety and Security Management, Los Angeles, CA -2006
Certifications and Training
• Aircraft Specific, CRM, Command & Management Development, American Flyers Academy - 1978-1980
• Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Total Time 13,700 hours – 1982 to present
• American Flyers Academy, Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Islip, New York - 1978-1980
• Aviation Quality Auditor – ISBAO and IOSA - 2009
• Aviation Quality Auditor Training, Air Canada, Toronto, Canada - 2006
• Aviation Safety and Security Certificate Program - 2007
• IOSA Auditor Training, ARG/US Pros, Denver CO - 2008
• RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Aviation Safety Consultant – 2013 to present.
• Vice President Quality, Safety & Security - 2010-present
Responsible for oversight, management of Quality, Safety, Security for 50+ aircraft, 800 employees, $1.7M budget. Coordinate airline safety/compliance issues with local FAA, NTSB, DOD. Successfully implemented ASAP, SMS, QMS programs. Repaired very poor performance levels/corporate reputation with FAA/DOD, particularly in regard to Quality/Safety management through focus on compliance/transparency; reputation was repaired, going from performance levels under serious scrutiny from FSDO/DOD to operation of airline with highest integrity, resulting in relaxation of intense oversight measures.
• Senior Vice President, - January to August 2010
Team Leader in providing airline clients with comprehensive consulting solutions regarding IOSA preparations, SMS/QMS, Safety Reporting System development and implementation, and large group training sessions. All projects were conducted in the international marketplace thus performing functions with a keen eye towards the sensitivities of cross-cultural differences.
• Washington, DC. - 1981-2010
Senior Line Captain A320 (2006-2010)
Check Airman, Simulator & Aircraft A330-300 (1999-2006)
Regional Director of Flying, Senior Chief Pilot (1994-1999)
Assistant Chief Pilot (1992-1994)
Senior Check Airman, McDonald Douglas Fleet (1990-1992)
Check Airman, McDonald Douglas Fleet (1988-1989)
Captain, First Officer, Flight Engineer (1981-1988)
• GHS Aviation Auditing, LLC, McLean, VA, Managing Director - 2008-2010
• GHS Aviation Group, LLC, McLean, VA, Senior Consultant & Former Chief Operating Officer - 2004-2010
• V2 Aviation, Inc. Eliot, ME, President and Consultant - 2003-present
Pilot, Safety, Operation, Auditing Experience
• Air Transport Pilot, Manager, 33+ years experience; 13,000+ accident/incident/violation-free flight hours; type rated in DC-9, B757/767, A320, and A330.
• Eighteen (18) years Flight Training, Flight Operations Management; Independent Management Consultant on Safety, Training, Management, IOSA.
• Managed, supervised performance, flying activities of large international airline; responsible for oversight of approximately 1800 pilots Over 18 years management experience.
• Trained, evaluated 1000 pilots+; performed Quality Assurance observations, flight standards evaluator simulator check rides; investigated numerous incidents involving flight crew performance.
• Appointed to conduct Airbus A330 initial aircraft flight and simulator training, resulting in most successful new aircraft fleet launch in airline’s history.
• Qualified in DC-9/MD-80, A330 Advanced Simulators and CBT devices.
• Superb Check Airman credentials in commercial transport aircraft and simulators, including McDonald Douglas DC-9, MD-80, Airbus A330 Highly experienced in International operations in North Atlantic, European, Caribbean theaters.
• Consulted Government Agency concerning accidents, incidents involving Part 121,133, and 135 Air Carriers.
• Coordinated airline safety, compliance issues with local FAA, NTSB, corporate safety department Lead Auditor, Evaluator for North American-based IOSA Audit Organization.
• NTSB appointed company party coordinator. Coordinated airline party participation in NTSB investigations.
• Liaised with Crash, Fire, Rescue officials to promote, enhance safety procedures of airline operations at Boston Logan International Airport.
• Senior Technical Consultant to number of Legacy and Low Cost operators based in Asia Pacific, Central/Latin America, the Caribbean.
• Team leader/Expert consultant on safety, operations, training, SMS, QMS, IOSA preparations.
• Author/co-author of several operational manuals regarding airline operations, training, IOSA.
• Projects include Flight Training/Flight Operations, Management/SMS/IOSA preparations/Emergency preparedness to major foreign air carriers.
• Managing Director responsible for successful accreditation by IATA of newly formed IOSA Audit Organization.
Core Areas of Expertise
• Change Management, Cultural Enhancement • Productivity & Performance Improvement
• Cost Reductions & Profit Growth • Project Planning & Management
• High-performing, Innovative Solutions • Quality Assurance, IEP
• Human Factors / Crew Resources Management • Regulatory Compliance Process Design
• Needs Analyses • Root Cause Analysis & Response
• Performance Optimization • Safety Management, Quality Management
• Pilot Training & Performance Evaluation • Strategic Planning & Execution
• Pilot Training Curriculum Development
Professional Associations and Activities
• AAR Airlift Group,
Flight Standards Board Committee
Presidents Executive Board
Chairman Safety Action Group
• Air Line Pilots Association, Member
• Corporate Liaison to FAA, NTSB, OSHA, DOD, DOT, DOL
• FAA Designated Examiner, MD-80; Deputized Federal Flight Deck Officer
• International Society of Air Safety Investigators (ISASI), Member
• NASIP, LOSA, Inspection Team Member
• US Airways Management Club, Member
• V2 Aviation Inc., Chairman, Board of Directors
Lectures and Presentations
• A330 FAA Proving Certification Pilot for International Operations
• Document & Record Control Manual
• Engine Failure - Departure Procedures for the McDonnell Douglas DC-9 & MD-80
• Executive Briefings for Quality Safety and Security Performance
• Flight Operations Manual – Airline Merger Mirror Image Project
• Internal Evaluation Program Results & Management Review Presentation
• IOSA Compliant Flight Operations & Flight Training Manuals
• IOSA Gap Analysis Reports (Multiple International Airlines)
• New Hire Pilot Performance Tracking and Evaluation Program
• Operational Risk Analysis Reports (Multiple International Airlines)
• Pilots Quick Reference Handbook (QRH)
• Quality Auditor Presentation
• Safety Management System Presentation