Senior Air Traffic Control Specialist
He has been involved or working in the field of Aviation for over 32 years. His background includes not only being a pilot but working as a senior Air Traffic Control Specialist for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) at various locations for the past 26 years. During which time he also served as an Air Safety Investigator for the National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA), providing ATC expertise in numerous investigations of both accidents and incidents conducted by the NTSB. His flying experience includes multiple ratings and licenses including Airline Transport Pilot and Flight Instructor accumulating 2,100 hours flight time.
Teaching / Instruction
• Associate Instructor at the Transportation Safety Institute in Oklahoma City, OK. Specialize in teaching courses directed toward air traffic control and human factors, 2001 – Present.
• Guest Instructor for the Air Line Pilot’s Association (ALPA) at the ALPA Advanced Accident Investigation Course, 2001- 2009.
• Associate Instructor at the Southern California Safety Institute teaching Air Traffic Control Investigation, 2001 – Present.
• Represented NATCA at NTSB Runway Safety Forum, 2007.
• Represented NATCA at NTSB UAS Forum, 2008.
• RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Senior Air Traffic Control Specialist, 2018 to present.
• Appointed FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) Aviation Safety Councilor. 1997 – Present.
• Relocated to Tampa International Airport (tower/radar approach control) in February 2015, retired in January 2018.
• Detailed to the FAA ATSAP as an analyst 2008-2010.
• Relocated to Cleveland ARTCC in July 2002 and continued employment until February 2015.
• Air Traffic Controller for EAA “Airventure” fly-in at Oshkosh, WI. 2000 – 2001.
• Graduated in February 1992 as an Air Traffic Control Specialist, relocated to Akron-Canton Regional Airport (tower/radar approach control) in March 1992 and continued employment until July 2002.
• Attended the FAA Air Traffic Academy in Oklahoma City from October 1991 until February 1992.
Professional Associations and Activities
National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA)
• Selected as Air Safety Investigator for the National Air Traffic Controllers Association. As an Air Safety Investigator, I have worked with the NTSB as an ATC expert on numerous accident/incident investigations, 1994.
• Appointed Chairman of NATCA’s Air Safety Investigation Committee. As Chairman, it is my responsibility to oversee the entire accident investigation program for NATCA and ensure that the investigators are up-to-date on air safety investigation training, 2001 – 2009.
International Society of Air Safety Investigators (ISASI)
• Member of International Society of Air Safety Investigators (ISASI), 1996 – Present.
• Two-term Chairman of ISASI Air Traffic Services Working Group (ATSWG). As Chairman, it was my duty to facilitate these international meetings promoting improved aviation safety and accident investigation approaches, 1999 – 2003.
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
• Air Traffic Management and Runway Safety Representative to ICAO Asian Pacific and Middle-Eastern Regions. As representative, it was my duty to deliver safety critical information at the ICAO Safety Awareness Regional Meetings in Cairo, Egypt and Singapore, 2003.
East Central Ohio Pilot’s Association
• Member of the East Central Ohio Pilot’s Association, 1994 – Present.
• President of East Central Ohio Pilot’s Association, 2002.
• Received ECOPA Meritorious Service Award, 2003.
Honors and Awards
• Awarded “Oshkosh Rookie Controller of the Year” in 2000.
• Received FAA Administrators Safety Award 2009.
• Received FAA Administrators Transportation Safety Award 2013.