Transportation Accident Law and Government Investigations Consultant who helps manage clients’ participation in various types of government investigations, regulatory enforcement proceedings, product safety recalls, and related litigation. Multi-faceted legal and public affairs services encompass every stage of government decision-making from congressional/regulatory affairs to strategy development and civil/appellate litigation.
He has worked for technology developers, manufacturers of transportation safety and security equipment, defense and homeland security contractors, transportation service providers and major insurance organizations. Manages clients’ participation in various types of government investigations, regulatory enforcement proceedings, product safety recalls and related litigation. He also serves as outside general counsel to the Dangerous Good Advisory Council, the world’s premier authority on the safe transportation of hazardous materials. Deals regularly with the Department of Transportation (particularly the Federal Aviation and Traffic Safety Administrations), the National Transportation Safety Board and other federal safety and investigative departments. Many years of experience in civil litigation, trial work and adversarial administrative proceedings, as well as in high-profile appellate litigation. He has represented clients before the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in important administrative law cases. Co-author of the U.S. Supreme Court brief for the independent insurers when they won a unanimous decision reinstating the safety standard requiring airbags in automobiles. This expert also supports clients and their litigation counsel by managing participation in government investigations, especially those involving aircraft and other transportation accidents; and has successfully obtained crucial information from government sources that failed to surface in the traditional civil discovery process. He has managed automotive manufacturers’ safety recalls and provided advice concerning compliance with laws and regulations enforced by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and other consumer protection agencies.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1979. Associate Editor, Virginia Law Weekly; Member, Moot Court Board and quarterfinalist, Lile Moot Court Competition.
- Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public & International Affairs, A.B., cum laude, 1976.
- Transportation Accident Law and Government Investigations Consultant, RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, 2006-present
- Chairman/CEO, private company, Washington, DC, 2000-present
- Partner, Manatt Phelps & Phillips, LLP, Washington, DC, 1999-2000
- Partner, Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LLC, Washington, DC, 1993-1999
- Vice President and head of Technology, Telecommunications & Transportation Consulting Group, Gray & Company/Hill and Knowlton Public Affairs Worldwide Co./Murphy & Demory, Ltd., Washington, DC, 1986-1992
- Associate, Sidley & Austin, Washington, DC, 1984-1986
- Legislative Counsel, U.S. Senator John C. Danforth, 1981-1983
- Associate, Blackwell Sanders, Kansas City, MO 1979-1981
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Virginia Supreme Court
- Missouri Supreme Court
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Sixth and Eighth Circuits