Aeronautical Engineer has over twenty-five years of experience in Aerospace Operations and Research leading diverse teams to accomplish technically challenging goals. He is experienced in aeronautics, naval strike warfare, aircraft carrier operations, and unmanned aircraft developmental testing and employment. A talented communicator possessing exceptional technical skills with significant achievements in applied aerodynamics, aircraft guidance and control, and simulation. He has a PhD in aerospace engineering; security clearance: top secret/special compartmented information. Specific skills include: Aeronautics/ Unmanned Air Vehicle Operations/ Financial Management Systems Engineering/ Flight Test and Evaluation/ Naval Strike Warfare Aircraft Carrier Operations/ Simulation and Modeling/Risk Management.
• PhD, Aeronautics and Astronautics, US Naval Postgraduate School, 1997
• MS, Aeronautics and Astronautics, US Naval Postgraduate School, 1994
• BS, Chemical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 1984
• RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD – Aeronautical Engineer, 2010 – present.
• Engineering Consultant, 2008 – present
• Professor, Aerospace Engineering, 2005 – present
• Senior Aeronautics Engineer, 2004 – 2005
• Tactical UAV Special Operations Officer, 2002 – 2004
• United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, Military Professor and Fluids Lab Director, 1999 – 2002
• USS George Washington (CVN-73), Norfolk, VA, Assistant Strike Operations Officer, 1997 – 1999
• A-6E Intruder aircraft, Oceana, VA, Mission Commander, 1984 – 1992
• Independent Engineering Consultant: Provided aeronautical engineering, systems engineering, test and evaluation engineering, and technical and program management support to proprietary and compartmentalized programs.
• Aeronautical Analysis: Developed U. S. Navy’s capability to predict release trajectories of ordnance with autopilots from U. S. Navy aircraft using computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Provided software tools for the analysis of wind tunnel store separation testing including free stream, grid, and captive trajectory runs. Software tools used to clear the release of the High Speed Anti-Radiation Demonstrator (HSAD) missile from an F/A-18C aircraft.
• Leadership: Officer-in-Charge of 7 successful UAV detachments participating in joint fleet exercises and experiments supporting SOCOM, NSW, USMC, and SUBLANT with tactical intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance. Directed all research, laboratories, and technical staff at U.S. Naval Academy’s 7 wind tunnels and fluid dynamics labs.
• Unmanned Air Vehicle Operations: Trained, deployed, and led Navy tactical UAV teams supporting Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations Command personnel in exercises and experiments resulting in improved tactics, techniques and procedures for UAVs. VT-UAV Action Officer for HELTACWINGLANT; authored Helicopter Community position on VT-UAV manning. Integrated aircraft design, manufacture, flight test, and international competition into a yearlong senior design project at U.S. Naval Academy using small UAVs.
• Naval Strike Warfare: Strike lead in A-6 Intruder attack aircraft. Over 1500 hours and 300 arrested landings in A-6E Intruder aircraft as Bombardier/Navigator executing real-world missions in the Mediterranean, North Atlantic, and Middle East. As assistant Strike Operations Officer, scheduled and coordinated execution of 9,000 air sorties in North Arabian Gulf for an aircraft carrier and embarked air wing. Planned, scheduled and coordinated execution of an aircraft carrier dry dock, sea trials, and carrier qualification detachments.
• Flight Test and Evaluation: Structured and conducted developmental flight-testing of electronic warfare payload on tactical UAV. Successfully employed vehicle and payload as part of Naval exercise sponsored by SUBLANT and Naval Information Warfare Activity providing valuable intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, and electronic attack. Graduate of UAV Test and Evaluation Short Course, Naval Test Pilot School.
• Systems Engineering: Designed, built and utilized a rapid-prototyping system incorporating miniaturized avionics, data acquisition, and air vehicle control to successfully identify flight characteristics, then shape and flight test guidance control laws on a UAV. Successfully used system to validate new theoretical results in dissertation.
• Simulation and Modeling: Designed, built and integrated into aeronautics curriculum a flight simulation facility optimized for teaching aeronautics utilizing MATLAB/Simulink, autocode, realtime systems, and virtual reality visualization.