Senior Electrical/Mechanical Engineer with many years of experience with power system protection and controls in engineering and construction. Has managed all aspects of engineering design and drafting, power flow and fault calculations, relay calibrations, field installation testing, instruction manuals development, testing and development and power plant engineering (including nuclear) of the following systems: protective relaying, automatic switching controls, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, telemetry equipment, cables, capacitor controls, Digital Fault Recorders (DFR), fire protection systems, generators, meters, motors, Sequence of Events Recorders (SER), switchgear, transformers, voltage regulators, and communications equipment associated with these systems. As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, this expert has specific knowledge of compressors, electro-mechanical systems, fans and blowers, HVAC equipment, OSHA codes and standards. He is also an experienced instructional materials writer and presenter, as well as teacher on topics of Power Systems Theory and Protective Relaying. As a member of IEEE, he participated in writing tutorials and the standards for substation integration architecture and distributed generation, including substation communication protocols.
This expert has testifying experience in cables and testing and developing lines.
- BSEE, Electrical Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- BSME, Mechanical Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
Continuing Education Courses and Studies
- Basic Electric Theory, BGE, Baltimore, MD, 1994
- Simulation Center – Staff, BGE, Baltimore, MD, 1993
- Trends Shaping the Utility Industry, BGE, Baltimore, MD, 1991
- The Public Utility Management Course, Southern Electric Exchange, Athens, GA, 1988
- Energy Management Systems, Control Data Corporation, 1982
- Microwave Radio Multiplexing, GTE, 1980
- Introduction to Microprocessors, IEEE, 1979
- Fundamentals of Microprocessors, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 1979
- Finance Accounting in Utility Management, BGE, Baltimore, MD, 1975
- Application and Operating Theory of Protective Relaying, General Electric Company, Philadelphia, PA, 1968
- Nuclear Engineering, Engineers Club, Baltimore, MD, 1967
- Engineering Creativity, Engineers Club, Baltimore, MD, 1963
- RTI Group, LLC (RTI), Annapolis, MD, Senior Electrical/Mechanical Engineer, 2006 – present.
- Reynolds Technologies International (rti), Annapolis, MD, Senior Electrical/ Mechanical Engineer, 2005 to 2006.
- Private company, Owings Mills, MD, Consulting Engineer in industrial electric power systems including protective relaying, 2000 – present.
- Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE), Baltimore, MD, System Engineering and Construction Department, Principal Engineer – System Protection and Control System Engineering and Construction Department, 1993 – 2000.
- Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE), Baltimore, MD, Electric Test Department, General Supervisor – System Relaying Metering & Control, 1992 – 1993.
- Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE), Baltimore, MD, Electric Test Department, General Supervisor – Relay and Automatic Control, 1986 – 1992.
- Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE), Baltimore, MD, Electric Test Department, General Supervisor – Special Engineering Tests, 1983 – 1986.
- Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE), Baltimore, MD, Electric Test Department, Supervisor – Relay & Automatic Control, 1976 – 1983.
- Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE), Baltimore, MD, Electric Test Department, Supervisor – Relay & Meter Systems, 1974 – 1976.
- Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE), Baltimore, MD, Electric Test Department, Senior Engineer, 1970 – 1974; Engineer, 1970 – 1968; Associate Engineer, 1963 – 1968.
Professional Associations and Activities
- Past Member Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE) – Working Group C2 – Applications of New Technologies in Substation Monitoring and Control; C2TF4 Task Force on Communications Between Intelligent Substation Devices; Treasurer of the 1996, IEEE Winter Power Meeting; Treasurer of the 1992 IEEE PICA meeting.
- Past Member of the IEEE Standards Committee on Distribution Generation.
- Pennsylvania Electric Association (PEA) – Past Chairman, Trouble Subcommittee (PEA Relay Committee).
- Past Member of Volunteers for International Technical Assistance (VITA).
- Active Member, Johns Hopkins University Society of Engineering Alumni Council, and JHU Alumni Executive Committee.
- Past Member of ERAP: NLRB Hearings Testimony. Provided testimony evidence on functional integration given on employee interactive processes and work relations within and outside SPC/SECD, 1996.
- Presentation, “Substation Integration Project,” 1996.
- State of Maryland Legislature on Utility Regulatory Matters, 1996.
- PACE OPS, BGE – Best Performer for Substation Relay Maintenance Practices,” 1992.