A Registered Professional Engineer (safety), Certified Safety Professional, and Master’s Level Psychologist specializing in technical aspects of applied human factors engineering and safety. For over 30 years, both as a corporate safety director and private consultant, this expert has provided a variety of organizations, including private industry, governmental organizations, and the legal and insurance community with technical assistance on safety and human factors engineering issues.
In addition, he serves as a member of numerous national consensus standard committees including: ASTM Committee No. E-34 on Occupational Health and Safety; ASTM Subcommittee E34.85 on Ergonomics; ANSI A-10 Committee on Safety Requirements for Construction and Demolition; ANSI A-10.2 Subcommittee on Standard for Safety, Health, and Environmental Training; and is chairperson for the ANSI A-10.39 Subcommittee on Safety Audit Procedures. As an Accredited Occupational Safety and Health Instructor through the U.S. Department of Labor (OSHA), this expert has taught Accredited OSHA Safety courses through The National Resource Center for OSHA Training under a grant from the U.S. Department of Labor. In addition, he has been an instructor in human factors and safety at Community College of Baltimore County and numerous safety topics for the National Safety Council and the Safety Council of Maryland.
Has provided technical consultations that have been utilized by the insurance and legal communities for expert testimony, pretrial, and trial preparation in cases involving construction safety, product safety analysis, hazard analysis, hazard warning analysis, failure analysis, and human factors engineering analysis with respect to private, product, commercial, and industrial accident reconstruction.
Has provided expert testimony as to findings in courts of law.
- Radford University Graduate School, Radford, Virginia M.A., Psychology, 1976 (emphasis in Human Factors)
- Concord College, Athens, West Virginia, B.A., Psychology, 1973
- The Community College of Baltimore County, Catonsville, Maryland, Certificate, Occupational Safety and Health Technology, 1988
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, Graduate Studies, Psychology, 1975
RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, (formerly with parent company, FTI Consulting, from 1981 to 2002) Human Factors and Safety Engineer Consultant, 2009 to Present.
President and Principal Consultant, Baltimore, MD, 1979 – Present.
- Responsible for general management duties associated with private consulting practice. Provides consulting services to employers, employer associations, government agencies, and the insurance and legal communities on safety, health, human factors engineering and risk management issues. These services include but are not limited to: technical aspects of federal, state, industrial, consensus, commercial, product, and trade, safety and health regulations/standards; general and industry specific safety and health audits; safety and health program development, evaluation, and administration; hazard recognition, analysis, and control; forensic engineering and failure analysis; and training seminar development and production.
Logistics Management Engineering, Inc., Annapolis, MD, Safety/Human Factors Engineer, 1978 – 1978.
- Development of marketing program for consulting services in safety and human factors engineering.
John T. Clark and Son of Maryland, Inc., Baltimore, MD, Corporate Safety Director, 1975 – 1979.
- Developed and implemented safety program, investigated accidents associated with thematerials handling and maritime industry, record keeping, medical programs, training, insurance materials, correspondence with federal and state regulatory agencies, research and development of operations safety.
- Corporate safety program chosen by the National Maritime Safety Association as reference for their national safety program published in 1978. Trained executive personnel from national trade association in effective safety programming.
- Created accident reporting system, established effective communication between management personnel and insurance carriers. Resulted in achievement awards for safety efficiency from local trade association in 1976, 1977, and 1978.
Maritime and Materials Handling Experience
- Authorized Maritime Trainer – Designated as an Authorized Maritime Trainer by O.S.H.A., U.S. Department of Labor.
- Provided research and development for the Corporate Safety/Risk Management Program for Maersk Container Service Company, Inc. a transportation and warehousing company. Revisioned and made additions to Corporate Safety Program. Conducted Risk Management Seminar(s) for Maersk Container Service Company, Inc. Conducted safety training for management and union supervisors and foremen.
- General Longshoreman and Gearman/Rigger, ILA Local #333, Port of Baltimore - Over nine years of hands-on experience involving the loading and unloading of materials to and from ships, railroad cars, containers, and trucks. Methods of materials handling included manual materials handling and operation of various sized fork lift trucks, yard tractors, cherry pickers, and cranes, Part of this work included over four years experience as a part time and full time gear man.. Within this industry, the gear man is responsible for rigging equipment and rigging practices used in all material handling processes.
- Investigated numerous accident events occurring at transportation terminals, construction sites, in transit, in port, and at sea. In addition, forensic experience includes product warning analysis and fall accident events in a variety of settings and has given deposition and trial testimony.
Professional Registrations and Certifications
- Registered Professional Engineer, Safety Engineering, Massachusetts
- Certified Safety Professional
- Certified Hazard Control Manager
- Certified Product Safety Manager
- Certified Occupational Health and Safety Technician
- WSO – Certified Safety Executive, World Safety Organization
- WSO – Certified Safety, Health, & Environmental Ergonomist
- Authorized Occupational Safety and Health Trainer, O.S.H.A., U.S. Department of Labor
Professional Associations and Activities
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- American Psychological Association
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Maryland Society of Professional Engineers
- World Safety Organization
- Systems Safety Society
- Member, ANSI A10 – Committee on Safety Requirements for Construction and Demolition
- Chairman, ANSI A10.39 – Construction Safety and Health Audit Programs
- Member, ANSI A10.2 – Standard for Safety, Health, and Environmental Training
- Member, ANSI A10.40 – Ergonomics in Construction
- Member, ANSI A10.41 – Equipment Operator and Supervisors Qualifications and Responsibilities
- Member, ASTM Committee No. E.34 – Committee on Occupational Health & Safety
- Member, ASTM Committee No. E.34.30 – Committee on Occupational Health & Safety in Construction
- Member, ASTM E34.85 – Ergonomics
- Founding Member of the Association of Independent Consultants, Inc. (AIC)
- Public Member of the Board of Trustees, Electrical Local 26Joint Apprenticeship and Training Trust Fund, Washington, D.C.