A commercial pilot and licensed flight instructor with over 50 years’ experience in the flying and piloting of numerous types and sizes of aircraft. His aviation background also includes service in the U.S. Navy and Navy Reserves; private operation of his own FAA approved flight school, air taxi, air charter, air ambulance, aircraft rental and leasing company; experience as an Instrument Rated FAA commercial pilot; and as a licensed Flight and Ground Instructor. He also has extensive investigative background in antitrust litigation involving fixed base operator and aircraft dealer, as well as complex litigation versus international parties. He has served as an expert witness in aviation cases, and represented numerous pilots and aircraft companies in FAA and NTSB proceedings.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, TN, Doctor of Jurisprudence, J.D. Law, 1976
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, M.S. Industrial Relations, 1967
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, B.A. History, Physics, Chemistry, 1963
- U.S. Navy School of Pre-Flight and U.S. Navy School of Flight, Pensacola, FL, 1964
Additional Academic Activities / Honors
- FAA Wilbur and Orville Wright Master Pilot Award May 2014
- Graduate Cessna Factory Pilot Schools – Cessna 337, Cessna 340, Cessna 414, and Cessna 421, (1970- 1976)
- Flight Safety International, Wichita, KS, 1986-2011
- Cessna 425 Professional Pilot Proficiency Initial and four Recurrent Trainings; and
- Cessna 441 Professional Pilot Proficiency Initial and ten Recurrent Trainings,
- SIMCOM, Dallas, TX,
- Cessna 441 Recurrent Training – latest April 2014; two recurrent training programs – 2012 and 2013.
- RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Commercial Pilot and Flight Instructor Consultant, November 2014 to present.
- Owned and operated Exec Air, Inc., Morgantown, WV and Executive Airways, Inc. Knoxville, TN, an FAA approved flight school, air taxi, air charter, air ambulance, aircraft rental and leasing company that accumulated over 25,000 accident-free flight hours in eight years, 1968-1976
- Aircraft dealer, Knoxville, TN, 1970-1976
- Extensive investigative background in antitrust litigation involving fixed base operator and aircraft dealer. Complex litigation versus international parties in fatal Hawker crash. Expert witness in aviation cases. Represented numerous pilots and aircraft companies in FAA and NTSB proceedings.
- U.S. Navy Active Duty, Naval Air Station Pensacola Florida; NAS Agana, Guam; 1964-1966, NAS Miramar, California 1963-1967.
- U.S. Navy Reserve at NAS Marietta, Georgia and NAS Cecil Field, Florida 1967-1972
Professional Associations and Activities
- Licensed to practice law by Tennessee Supreme Court, 1984
- Admitted to Tennessee Appellate Courts, United States District Courts, United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals since 1984, filed briefs with United States Supreme Court.
- Member Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Member Experimental Aircraft Association
- Extensive Familiarization Tours:
- Cessna factory, Wichita, Kansas; Piper Aircraft Factory; Lock Haven, Pennsylvania; and Vero Beach, Florida
- Grumman-American Factory, Cleveland, Ohio
- McDonnell-Douglas Factory, St. Louis, Missouri
- Numerous U.S. Naval Air Stations, U.S. Air Force Bases, and seven U.S. Navy Aircraft Carriers.
- Medical Certificate Second Class, February 2014
- FAA Commercial Pilot – Airplane single-engine, multi-engine land; Instrument Rated, 1967
- FAA Ground Instructor – 1968
- Pilot-in-Command time in over 47 aircraft, and Flight time in 20 others; total flight time over 13,000 Hours, 1636 as Flight Instructor. Flight time began 1964 first solo in the United States Navy T-34 A and has continued until the present for over 50 years. No accidents or violations.
- Flight Instructor – Gold Seal – Revalidated, February 2014 – License #1641226
- Ground Instructor – Basic, September 1968
- Instrument rating – June 1967
- Commercial Pilot – single engine/multi-engine land, June 1967
- Flight Instructor – Gold Seal – single engine land, Multi-engine land, October 1966
- Private Pilot – Multi-engine Land, March 1966
- Private Pilot – Single Engine Land, June 1965
- F.C.C. Restricted Radio Telephone Operator, October 1964
- First Solo – U. S. Navy T-34A, March 1964
- International Flight Experience – over 90 flights to Mexico to 11 airports; also Canada, Guam, Saipan, Rota, Tinian Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Philippines.