Entomologist with over 30 years of experience in Entomological Sciences. He is an Extension Specialist at the University of California, Berkeley, in the Department of Environmental Sciences, Policy, and Management –Division of Organisms & Environment. A frequent speaker, seminar presenter, and guest lecturer for a variety of groups and organizations. Over the last twenty years, he has given more than 500 presentations. In addition, he is a recognized author and co-author of numerous publications in Entomological Sciences.
- University of California, Berkeley, CA; B.S. Agricultural Sciences; Area of Specialization: Entomology, 1975
- University of California, Berkeley, CA; M.S. Entomology; Thesis Title: A Study of Aggressive Behavior in the Brownbanded Cockroach, Supella longipalpa (Fabricius) (Dictyoptera, Blattaria, Blattellidae), 1979
- University of California, Berkeley, CA; Ph.D. Entomology; Thesis Title: Host-Insect Interactions in the California Oakworm/Coast Live Oak Ecosystem, 1989
- Consultant in Entomological Sciences, RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, 2012 to present.
- Extension Specialist. Department of Environmental Sciences, Policy, and Management, Division of Insect Biology, University of California, Berkeley. Duties include: guest lecturing, proposal development, research, and publishing on household and structural pests, 1991 to present.
- Postdoctoral Fellow. Department of Entomological Sciences, University of California, Berkeley. Research activities include: proposal development, publishing, and research on acorn weevils, California oakworms, and termites, 1988 -1990.
- Vector Control Coordinator. San Quentin State Prison. Duties included: overseeing all indoor and outdoor animal pest and weed control services. Also coordinated vendor pest control services and supervised inmate work crews, 1986- 1988.
- Staff Entomologist. IPM Systems, Incorporated. Duties included: training and supervision of pest control service technicians, and marketing personnel within the San Francisco Bay area, 1982 – 1986.
- Entomological Society of America
- International Research Group on Wood Preservation
- Isopterist Society of America
- Northern California Entomology Club
- Member Termite Expert Group, UNEP/FAO since 2000
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- California State Structural Pest Control Licenses Branch II and III.
- Member of UC IPM Urban and Community IPM Committee, 2007 to present.
- Past member Affirmative Action Committee for the UC Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, 2006-2009.
- Past member Cooperative Extension Merits and Promotions, UC Berkeley, 2006-2009.
- Past member IPM Task Force Committee, California Structural Pest Control Board, 2007
- Past member IPM for California Schools Committee, 2004
- Past member Technical Termite Bait Committee, California Structural Pest Control Board, 2002
- Award in Urban Entomology, Pacific Branch Entomological Society of America, 2002
- Orkin Outstanding Research Award, 1998
- Outstanding Manager Award. University of California, Berkeley, 1995.
- Chancellor’s Minority Fellowship. University of California, Berkeley, 1988, 1989.
- Graduate Minority Fellowship. University of California, Berkeley, 1982.
- Participant in Fumigation School, Broward, Florida, 1992.
- Contributor National Academy of Sciences panel on Urban Pest Management, 1979.
- Urban Entomology, with specific interest in termites, woodboring beetles, bed bugs, and ants.