Gas and Electric Utility Operations Expert
This expert specializes in gas and electric utility engineering, construction, maintenance, operations, safety, and human performance improvement. His experience has a particular emphasis on gas and electric distribution and vegetation management operations. This expert has over 25 years experience within the utility industry.
• Georgia Institute of Technology, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Cooperative Program), June 1982
• The Rutgers Program for Management Development, 1993
• The Leadership Baltimore County Program, 1995
• RTI Group, LLC, Stevensville, MD, Gas and Electric Utility Operations Expert, 2016 - present
• Private company - Principal (2015 - Present)
Providing operations, safety, human performance improvement, engineering and management consulting to the gas and electric utility sectors and the vendors, contractors, suppliers and consultants who serve them. Highly successful engagements with:
- A global management, process and IT consulting firm - facilitating the transfer of overseas engineering and operations methodologies and technologies to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of electric utility operations in the United States and Canada.
- A regional utility construction and maintenance company - providing post-incident investigation and root cause analyses and recommendations surrounding human performance, error prevention, standards, procedures, administrative controls, training, qualifications, safety programs and leadership effectiveness.
- A leading national gas utility construction, maintenance, and operations company - exploring and developing the addition of a stand-alone utility consulting capability to the firm’s current offerings.
- The second largest vegetation management company in North America - investigating and deploying safety, operating and accountability improvements to field operating regions.
- An industry leading special effects provider, specializing in integrating cutting edge laser effects with other entertainment elements and serving clients across North America and Europe - deploying safety, operating, human performance, training and development improvements.
- Three international industry advisor networks serving the capital investment and consulting communities - providing senior executive management consulting on utility engineering, construction, operations, and supply chain processes.
•Baltimore Gas and Electric Company – Baltimore, Maryland,
Vice President (Exelon) – BGE Special Projects (2014)
Executive leadership of strategic, operational and organizational initiatives affecting BGE and the other Exelon Utilities. Those initiatives included:
- Alignment and standardization of processes, organizations and technologies to deliver the consolidated dispatch of Gas Emergency Response, Electric Emergency and Outage Response, and Revenue Cycle (Customer) field operations, including the merging of emergency preparedness and support and dispatch center functions in Baltimore and Philadelphia.
- Alignment and standardization of contractor administration and contractor field management processes.
- Support of utility merger integration activities (Exelon/Pepco Holdings).
Senior Vice President (BGE) / Vice President (Exelon) - Integrated Field Services (2007 to 2014)
Executive leadership of the integrated field services team, BGE’s largest division. Provides direction, sponsorship and administration of the 1,450 organic utility employees and 2,000 contractor employees engaged in gas and electric transmission, substation, distribution and meter construction, operations and maintenance activities.
Notable areas of executive competence and achievement:
- Leadership of construction, maintenance, operations and maintenance of the gas, electric, transmission and substation assets within BGE’s 2300 square mile service territory and service 1.25 million electric and 750 thousand gas electric and gas customers.
- Safe, efficient and effective execution and control of complex gas and electric Capital ($600+ Million) and Operations and Maintenance $690+ Million) annual programs.
- Achievement of utility industry top decile OSHA personnel safety performance.
- Industry leading achievements in human error performance improvement including development of NERC-endorsed Human Error Prevention toolkit for use by field technicians in critical bulk power substation environments.
- Executive leadership of significant incident (crisis) management, including performing Executive Storm Management roles in response to Maryland impacts of Hurricanes Floyd, Isabel, Irene and Sandy, a number of major ice and snow events, and the Eastern Derecho storm of 2012. Through effective planning and operations, BGE has not experienced a major gas system incident during my executive tenure.
- Innovation and development of BGE ‘center of excellence’ model for combined gas and electric operations under single executive sponsorship. Extensive cross training and cross utilization of craft personnel for Advanced Metering (SmartGrid) deployment, gas emergency response and electric primary and secondary repair and restoration.
- Establishment and nurturing of effective alliance arrangements with contractors in every utility field discipline – transmission, substation, vegetation management, electric distribution, gas distribution, SmartGrid and legacy metering and gas and electric new business.
General Manager – Gas and Electric New Business (2005 to 2007)
Senior Management leadership of initiation, engineering, design and construction of all gas and electric industrial, commercial and residential new business installations.
General Manager – Distribution Construction, Operations and Maintenance (1999 to 2005)
Senior Management leadership of electric distribution project and program management, construction, maintenance, operations and vegetation management of all overhead, urban underground and suburban underground electric distribution systems.
Chief Distribution Engineer (1995 to 1999)
Senior Management leadership of comprehensive and enterprise-wide electric distribution standards, methods, equipment, materials, procurement and special studies engineering functions.
o Director – Information Technology Management - Transmission and Distribution (1994)
Senior Management leadership of information technology support and project teams supporting the electric transmission and distribution operating organizations.
Manager – Distribution Construction, Operations and Maintenance - Howard Service Center (1990 to 1993)
Regional leadership of gas and electric distribution project and program management, construction, maintenance and operations for Howard, Prince Georges and Montgomery Counties.
General Supervisor – Northern Operations (1989)
Regional leadership of distribution testing, damage prevention, gas system corrosion control, and local reliability engineering for Baltimore, Carroll, and Harford Counties.
Supervisor – Northern Customer Engineering (1988)
Regional supervision of gas and electric new business engineering and design and cost estimating for Baltimore, Carroll and Harford Counties.
Various electrical and industrial engineering assignments (Associate Engineer, Engineer and Senior Engineer) of increasing complexity and responsibility (1982 to 1987)
Professional Associations and Activities
• Board of Directors, Parents Anonymous of Maryland 1993-1997
• Board of Advisors, Little Sisters of the Poor (St. Martin’s Home) 1999-2001
• Board of Directors - James Rouse Entrepreneurial Fund 2005 – 2007
• Executive Sponsor, BGE Red Cross Blood Donor Program, 2011-2014
• Board of Directors, Jobs, Housing, Recovery of Baltimore 2011-present