Wood Scientist and Engineer
This expert specializes in the inspection, assessment, and evaluation of wood and wood-based products used in all aspects of construction, engineering, and design. He has worked with national and international clients, including high profile engineering and architectural firms, government agencies, contractors, builders, homeowners, associations, public administrations, insurance companies and law firms.
He has conducted investigations and expert analyses including, but not limited to: failure analyses; visual grading of lumber and timbers in-situ; mechanical testing; resistance drilling and condition assessments; performance of structural composite lumber; wood species identifications; finish problems associated with wood and wood-based materials; assessment of wood decay; insect attack and marine borers; evaluation of marine and foundation timbers and pilings; microscopy analyses; mechanical testing; solid wood, engineered wood and bamboo flooring investigations; cedar shake and shingle roof and wall installations; furniture design and failure; wooden ladders; moisture intrusion issues in structures; building envelope issues; assessment of mold; performance of wood plastic composites; evaluation of glued laminated timbers; preservative retention analyses; assessment of cooling tower and lumber; analysis of shipping container flooring; and much more.
• Oregon State University, Master of Science, Wood Science and Engineering, 1998.
• SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry, Bachelor of Science, Construction Management & Wood Products Engineering, 1996.
• SUNY Oswego, Physics - major, Mathematics – minor, 1991-1993.
Additional Academic Activities / Honors
• American Society of Testing and Materials, 2013 – Award of Appreciation
• Forest Products Society (FPS), 2000-2004 – Northeast Section, Commendable Section
Award, Outstanding Section Award and Excellent Section Award.
• Forest Honor Society - Xi Sigma Pi, 1998.
• Presidents List - SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, 1995-1996.
• Graduating Honors, Second in the Department of Wood Products Engineering, 1996.
• Nelson Courtland’s Brown Scholarship Award 1996, Dept. of Wood Products
RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Wood Scientist and Engineer, 2018 to present.
Private Company – Wood Scientist, Principal/Owner, 2015 – present
• Investigation and expert analyses relating to wood and wood-based materials used in all aspects of construction, design and engineering.
• Performing investigations of construction deficiencies and evaluation of anticipated current and future performance of wood structures and assemblies.
• Applied research on wood and wood-based products.
• Over-site of inspection equipment, testing machine, and laboratory equipment.
• Quality control wood treatment inspector.
• Administrative assignments associated with the operation of the firm.
Wood Advisory Services, Inc. – Wood Scientist, January 2005- June 2015
• Applied research on wood and wood-based products.
• Performing investigations of construction deficiencies and evaluation of anticipated future performance of wood structures and assemblies.
• Over-sight of the testing laboratory and several administrative assignments.
Wood Advisory Services, Inc. – Wood Technologist, November 1998- January 2005
• Investigations of problems associated with wood and wood-based products.
• Evaluations of wood products used in construction.
• Manage the testing laboratories.
Oregon State University Department of Forest Products – Graduate Research Assistant, September 1996- October 1998
• Research, design and implementation of a study examining the use or supercritical fluids for wood treating.
• Examined treatability of refractory softwoods using high density incising.
• Assisted in researching the protection of sawn lumber using Bacillus subtilis and selected fungi.
Oregon State University Department of Forest Products – Undergraduate Recruitment Coordinator, April 1997- October 1998
• Recruitment of undergraduates, transfer students and high school students using informational packages describing and illustrating the advantages of a degree in Forest Products.
• Planning, organizing, and executing departmental activities for student retention.
Oregon State University Department of Forest Products –Undergraduate Research Assistant, Summer, 1995
• Worked with treatability of Pacific Northwest softwoods using incising and through-boring.
• Efficacy projects associated with selected water-borne and oil-borne preservatives.
• Prepared samples for retention analyses.
Professional Associations and Activities
• Forest Products Society (FPS) Member: 1995 to present.
Positions: Northeast Section, Secretary (2000), Vice-Chair (2001), Chair (2002)
Membership Chair (2003), Trustee (2004 to present).
• American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Member: 2002 to present.
Positions: Member of Multiple Technical Committees, Section Chair (2002 to 2013)
D07.01.01 Physical Test Methods & Properties.
• American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Member: 2006 to present.
• American Wood Protection Association (AWPA) Member: 1999 to present.
Positions: Member of Multiple Technical Committees.
• American Wood Council (AWC) Member: 2016-present
• Southern Pine Inspection Bureau (SPIB)
Position: Technical Advisor, 2004-2014.
Position: Wood Treatment Inspector, 2017-present.
• Society of Wood Science and Technology - Member: 1999-present.
• Northeast Lumber Manufacturers Association - Associate member: 1999-2008.
• Rotary Club of Millbrook - Member: 2008 to present.
Positions: Sergeant at Arms 2009-2010, Vice President (President Elect) 2010-1011, President, 2011-2012, Board member 2010-2015.
• Mid County Rod and Gun Club
Member: 2009-Present. Board member, 2014-2016. Club Secretary, 2016-present.
• Student Construction Association - Member and treasurer, 1995.
• Habitat for Humanity - Construction Leader, Syracuse Chapter (1995)
• Resistograph Certification. Held by IML, December 15, 2006, Bronx, NY.
• Durability and Disaster Mitigation in Wood Frame Housing & Durability Protocol
Workshop. November 1-3, 1999. Madison, Wisconsin.
• American Society of Civil Engineering. Environmental/Marine Committee
Technical Seminar. New York 2006. Invited