This expert has substantial engineering experience on both domestic and international projects in the areas of project/construction management, consulting engineering, design, contract administration and construction claims analysis and resolution. He has provided expert testimony in mediation, arbitration, and various courts on issues of engineering and construction. He has been the lead engineer for security/threat/vulnerability analyses and design for a major utility and several port and transportation facilities on the East Coast. His professional experience includes the design of structures, environmental engineering remediation, building codes, civil engineering, construction, construction safety, explosions, forensic engineering, geotechnical engineering, mining, safety engineering, seismology, and vibration analysis. This expert developed his expertise through education and practice in the areas of structural, environmental and civil engineering. This expert is a recognized expert in engineering standards and codes including BOCA, ANSI, ASTM and EPA regulations. He has taught civil and structural engineering courses at the United States Military Academy. He presents seminars and courses to industry interest groups and has been a speaker at national and international conferences. This expert has also produced deposition and court testimony in support of litigation as an expert witness.
Doctor of Philosophy - Civil Engineering (Structures), 1978. University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
Master of Business Administration - Finance, 1981. Long Island University (C.W. Post Center) Greenvale, NY
Master of Science - Civil Engineering (Structural Dynamics), 1972, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
Bachelor of Science - Engineering, 1967; United States Military Academy, West Point, NY
RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Civil Structural Engineer; February 2021 to present.
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1967-81
EXXON Production Research Company, 1981-86
Woodward-Clyde Consultants, 1986-87
Pilko & Associates, Inc. 1988-90
Personal Company, 1998-Present
President, Engineering/Environmental Firm:
Complete company Profit & Loss (P&L) responsibility for all operations of the firms specializing in Engineering, Environmental, Real Estate, Land Use, Health & Safety and Security consulting.
- Personally set up all functions for a new operation.
- Engineer of Record for over 1,000 projects including over 500 for the Wireless Industry.
President, Security Consultant Organization:
Organized a group of security professionals for the performance of Threat and Security Assessments and implementing the recommendations provided. This was the only group at the time offering turn-key project expertise through design and construction of both electronic and physical security systems.
- Lead a team of experts in performing the first post 9/11 Threat Assessment on a major utility.
- Engineer of Record for the design of anti-terrorist measures at the same major utility.
Expert Witness/Forensic Engineer:
Provided expert reports, deposition and court testimony in support of litigation.
- Lead Engineering expert on one case regarding the Tropicana Garage Collapse in Atlantic City, NJ.
- Disciplines include Civil/Structural Engineering, Project/Program Management and Control, etc.
- Former clients include General Motors, Voit Corporation, Carolina Steel and numerous law firms and insurance carriers.
General Manager, Environmental Firm:
Manager, East Coast Operations. Complete P&L responsibility for all East Coast operations, products and clients of a national environmental/risk management consulting firm.
- Opened first full-service office on the east coast.
- Personally set up all functions for a major regional office.
- Quadrupled East Coast revenues in first year of operation.
- Author of only EPA permit for open burning of explosive ordinance in the US.
Site Evaluation Project Leader, Offshore Structures Division. Identified geotechnical/geological
hazards (including the arctic environment) and predicted their effects on proposed offshore steel, concrete and gravel island structures. Senior Engineering Specialist in Structure Development and Design.
- Budget Coordinator - Offshore Structures Division.
- Coordinator for single and multi-platform projects.
- State-Of-The-Art Studies To Evaluate The Marine Environment.
- Evaluator of structural concepts: North and Bering Seas.
- Familiar with every major producing areas in the world.
- Authored numerous proprietary publications in design.
Construction Facilities Manager:
Designed, constructed and managed a major facility including a rock-crushing quarry, asphalt plant, portland cement/lime stabilization plant, soils testing laboratory and a major construction equipment maintenance depot. The facilities group consisted of six Managers/Supervisors and about 280 personnel.
- Supervised layout, erection and utilization of the complex.
- Daily output record set by the asphalt plant.
- Personally set up the entire soils analytical testing laboratory.
- Several recognitions for outstanding performance.
Highway Construction Manager:
Direct Supervisor of all operations for the design and construction and paving of 62.5 kilometers of Class E Highway including the personal design of six major bridges and 138 culvert crossings using both accepted civil codes and military specifications. The Engineer Construction Force consisted of over 1200 men. The Highway was QL-1 in the Republic of Vietnam.
- Devised the Construction Plan for the entire project.
- Extensively used CPM/PERT to monitor construction progress.
Building Construction Manager:
Project Officer, Field/Office Engineer and Contracting Officer's Representative (COR) for the Washington, DC Bulk Mail Center which was the prototype for thirteen other Centers across the country. Acted as the direct contact in the Washington, DC area between the Office of the Chief of Engineers (OCE) and the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). Experimental mechanical equipment made up approximately 25% of the Project's costs.
- Managed and controlled up to 28 Subcontractors (Union).
- Project was completed on-schedule and within expected cost.
- Received award for exemplary performance.
Project Officer, Field/Office Engineer and COR for numerous projects in the Washington, DC area including the construction of the U.S. Postal Service Indoor Rifle/Pistol Range in Merrifield, VA.
- All projects were completed on-schedule and at or below cost.
- Received award for exemplary performance.
Engineering/Remediation Design Manager: Division Manager.
Organized and managed an experienced multi-disciplinary team of professionals to provide a comprehensive design capability to an engineering/consulting firm expanding into the waste management design market. The Division included Process, Mechanical, Electrical and Civil Engineers, as well as Designers, Estimators and Specification Writers.
- Personally computerized all CAD (Designing/Drafting) efforts.
- Completed first major design project within 120 days of start-up.
Other Organizational Experience:
Alumni Society President:
Served as the President of the West Point Society of Philadelphia longer than any other president since its inception in 1926.
- Quadrupled membership in the first 5 years of tenure.
- Society was designated as a national “Distinguished Society” nine consecutive times.
- Established the “Alexander M. Haig, Jr. – Guardian of Liberty Award” in 2000.
- Chairman, Career Advisory Committee: Personally assisted over 129 Alumni in a successful job search
- Chairman, Networking Luncheon: Attracted from 50-90 attendees every month for a period of 8 years.
Chairman, Condominium Boards:
Served as Chairman of two Condominium Boards (Valley Court Condominiums in Philadelphia, PA and Ocean 17 in Ocean City, NJ).
- Initiated first Reserve Studies for both organizations.
- Cut Operating Costs keeping condominium fees in check.
- Managed and controlled major renovation projects at both facilities.
Served as the Executive Assistant to the Commander of Allied Land Forces, Southern Europe, a NATO 4-Star General. Senior American Officer in the NATO Command Group.
- Fluent in German, Italian and Friulian (Romanian base).
- Simultaneous Translator/Interpreter English-German-Italian.
- Extensive travel experience throughout Europe.
- Knighted by the President of the Republic of Italy.
Served as Commanding Officer of units in the U.S., Europe and Vietnam.
- Awarded two Bronze Star Medals in a Combat Zone.
- Numerous other prestigious awards for service and achievement.
Former Professor of Civil Engineering and Course Director:
Dept. of Civil Engineering, U.S. Military Academy.
- Structured, revised and taught courses in Advanced Structural Analysis, and the Honors Course in Structural Analysis and Steel Design. Authored and taught: Soil Mechanics
- Formerly on USMA (West Point) Faculty: Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering
- Formerly on Faculty: The US Army Engineer School, Fort Leonard Wood, MO.
Former Adjunct Professor of Engineering:
Department of Civil Engineering, Philadelphia University.
Colonel, U.S. Army Reserve (Ret):
- Awarded Legion of Merit.
- Vietnam Veteran holding many awards including 2 Bronze Stars.
- GRADUATE: U.S. Army War College.
- GRADUATE: U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.
- GRADUATE: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Officer Advanced Course.
- GRADUATE: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Officer Basic Course.
- Foreign Area Officer (FAO): Specialty: Western Europe.
- U.S. Department of the Army Program Manager (PM).
- Airborne (Paratrooper) and Ranger qualified.
- Schooled/Qualified: Atomic Demolitions, Bridges and Maintenance.
- U.S. Military Academy Regional Commander/Liaison Officer for Admissions.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE): IL, TX, PA, MD, FL, DE and NJ.
- Registered Professional Planner (PP): NJ
- Formerly UST (Underground Storage Tank) Certified: NJ Department of Environmental Protection.
- Former Member, National Society of Professional Engineers.
- Former Member, Pennsylvania Society of Professional Engineers.
- Former Member, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Member, The Union League of Philadelphia.
- Life Member: Society of American Military Engineers.
- Life Member: Association of Graduates, U.S. Military Academy, West Point.
- Former Member Alumni Support Committee, Board of Trustees: Association of Graduates, USMA.
- Life Member: West Point Society of New York.
- Life Member: Alumni Association, University of Illinois.
- Life Member: West Point Society of Philadelphia.
- Life Member: Army War College Foundation.
- Former President: West Point Society of Philadelphia: 1994-97, 1999-2004. Emeritus: 2005-Present.
- Life Member, Army Athletic Association (AAA).
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, Southern New Jersey Development Council